Connectivity Offering Overview
If you are reading this, you are interested in getting one of the following communication links up and running on your OMAP platform:
- Wifi: Wireless Communication link
- BT: Bluetooth Communication link
- GPS: Global Positioning System Communication link
- FM or FM Radio : Frequency Modulation / Radio Communication link
- NFC: Near Field Communication link
Other than the last one (NFC), which is not currently supported on OMAP, the others are available as integrated solutions from TI.
Since the OMAP (processor) itself doesn't support the communication links, TI has special communication chips that support these links.
As the OMAP has different generations or versions, these communication chips also have their own line of evolution. However, we point out here that, some communication chips are better supported on some processor platforms.
The generation/version of OMAP is documented. Here we will mention the communication chips.
The communication chips on OMAP have their own generations. The recent, relevant ones for OMAP platforms are:
For 127x, 128x the x marks the band which is supported by the connectivity chip:
* if (x == 1) supported bands = 2.5Ghz * if (x == 3) supported bands = 2.5Ghz & 5.0 Ghz
- TI calls the product and support for WL1271 chip as Wilink6. Wilink6 supports BT, FM, and WLAN in a single device mode.
- TI calls the product and support for WL1283 chip as Wilink7. Wilink7 Supports BT, FM, WLAN, and GPS in a single device mode.
- Similarly, NL5500 supports BT, FM, and GPS in a single device mode.